Kampot city is on the Preaek Tuek Chhu River in southern Cambodia. It is well known for pepper plantations and salt fields. It contains any buildings date from the colonial period, such as the fishing market, central colonial market, including the Governor’s Mansion. Today the house now is Kampot Museum, which has exhibits on the city’s history. The attractions, To the west, Preah Monivong Bokor National Park has a cold climate with forests, waterfalls, and wildlife, including gibbons and big cats.
Under 19th-century French colonial administration, Kampot became a regional administrative center with the status of a state border district as a result of the delimitation of the Kingdom of Cambodia. In 1889 French colonial census reports a multi-ethnic community: Kampot town consisted of "Cambodian Kampot" on the Prek-Kampot River and "Chinese Kampot" on the right riverbank of the west branch of the Prek-Thom River.